GW4 Technical Staff Webinar Series 2021January 27, 2021 - July 27, 2021
The GW4 Technical Staff Webinar Series aims to encourage collaboration and sharing of best practice across the GW4 Alliance universities by bringing together technical staff and external speakers to discuss key topics in a webinar format.
The GW4WARD programme supports GW4 technical staff at all career stages across the alliance. This webinar series compliments other development opportunities for technical staff under the GW4WARD umbrella, such as our professional registration scheme and travel bursaries.
The webinars will be offered monthly, from January to July, with each focused on a different theme. By providing a rich programme of webinars, the aim is to both support professional development in a variety of relevant skill areas, and to provide a valuable networking opportunity for colleagues from across the GW4 Alliance.
The webinars are aimed at all those employed as technical staff at the GW4 universities of Bath, Bristol, Cardiff or Exeter.
Details of each of the webinars in this series can be found below. If you have any questions, please contact the Talent and Skills team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Next event: Professional Registration – with the Science Council and Engineering Council
Date and time: Wednesday 21st April, 2-4pm
For our April webinar we will be joined by representatives from the Science Council, Engineering Council, and a selection of Professional Engineering Institutions to talk about professional registration. This event will include information about the GW4 Professional Registration funding scheme, as well as insight into the value of pursuing professional registration, and guidance on the application process.
- Science Council – Jane Banks and Stephen Franey
- Engineering Council – Michele Philips
- Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE) – Craig Davies
- Institution of Structural Engineers (IStructE) – Alec Skelly
- Institution of Engineering Designers (IED) – Jo Winslow
- The Welding Institute (TWI) – Tom Bates
This webinar will be relevant to:
- Anyone who wants to find out more about the benefits of membership and accreditation with a professional body (no prior knowledge necessary)
- Those who have been awarded funding via our GW4 Professional Registration scheme
- Those who are interested in applying to our GW4 Professional Registration funding scheme
- Colleagues supporting the professional development of GW4 technical staff
The event will be divided into two parts:
2-3pm: Introduction to Professional Registration and the GW4 funding scheme
3-4pm: Parallel workshops with the Science Council, and the Engineering Council and its Institutes (practicalities of Professional Registration, and guidance on the process)
To attend, please register via this form. Joining instructions will be sent to all registered attendees via email.
For any questions about this event please contact email@example.com
Further dates for your diary
- 19th May 2021 – NC3Rs (GW4 NC3Rs, Jess Eddy)
- 22nd June 2021 – Be Green: Sustainability in Research (LEAF, Martin Farley, Anna Lewis – Bristol)
- 27th July 2021 – An Introduction to HEaTED: CPD for Technical Staff (HEaTED, Liam Barr)
All webinars will begin at 2pm and last for 1.5 to 2 hours depending on the format. Registration links for each webinar will be shared approximately one month prior to the event.
January Launch event: Technicians Commitment, Wednesday 27th January, 2-4pm
Speaker: Kelly Vere, Midlands Innovation TALENT programme
Host: Anneke Lubben, University of Bath
February: Digital Skills for Technical Staff (panel session)
March: UKRI – Supporting Technicians in a Research Environment